Sunday, August 31, 2014

Our First Experiment With Cooking Doughnuts!

This past week, the 8yo begged for homemade donuts. I'm very new to deep-frying, but my nausea levels are finally down enough where I can handle bigger cooking projects. So... we gave it a go!

We used this donut recipe and this glaze recipe.

After rolling and cutting (next time I'm making them the old-fashioned way, without holes!):




The 2yo insisted on being in the middle of it all, and he was sooo helpful.




Thankfully the 8yo is finally starting to be a bit on the helpful side (instead of just asking which ingredients he can eat)!

Then - cooking time! This is where a super-expensive culinary degree obviously paid off:



That's right - burned beyond recognition. But let's blame the candy thermometer (which is obviously measuring low and is now in the trash!).

The not-too-burned ones were pretty good. I should know - I tried one and ended up spending the morning good and sick because of it! (Just can't handle the sugar.)

But it was a fun experiment, and I'm looking forward to trying again!

The best of the lot. 


2 comments:

  1. I've found that holes help them cook evenly. When I've left out the holes we've had doughy doughnuts instead of yummy ones. Homemade doughnuts are a pain, but they are such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, shucks - here I thought I'd figured out a shortcut! :) Well, the children liked the doughnut holes, so that's a plus!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!