Monday, January 19, 2015

Enjoying a Diet Break


I have now been off of the VLC (very-low-carb, high-fat) diet for a solid two months. I've been looking forward to this break for years - so how is it going?

Well, that depends!

In some ways, it's been really nice to have a break. The discipline of the diet is very rigorous, and it's nice to be able to relax my standards for a while - especially over the holidays!

Here are some of the foods that I've missed the most (and am now enjoying!):

  • Oatmeal and steel-cut oats
  • Bananas and apples
  • Fruit in general, and fruit desserts
  • Beans
  • Cottage cheese
  • Corn and cornbread 
  • Cooked carrots

Bread has never been a passion of mine, so I haven't missed that too much. Oddly enough, I haven't missed desserts and super-sweet things very much either. When I gave up sugar, my ability to taste sweet things skyrocketed - and American desserts now often taste too sweet! When making holiday desserts over the past two months, I have several times cut the sugar by half and still found the dessert too sweet. 

Additionally, I have found myself too busy to even contemplate making many desserts - keeping up with daily cooking and chores has been more than enough to keep me (crazy) busy. 

I have definitely noticed that I am not feeling as well being back on a more standard diet. Here are some of the issues I've had personally over the past two months:
  • A long-term won't-go-away ear infection
  • Stomach flu
  • A super-nasty cold
  • Resurgence of seasonal allergies
  • Minor resurgence of fatigue issues

In other words, I need to get back on the diet for my own well-being. 

I had originally planned to go back on the diet at New Year's. That didn't happen (somewhat anticipated), pretty much because of sheer laziness, as well as a reluctance to start double-cooking (VLC food for me, more carbs for the family) and dealing with the higher costs of the VLC diet. 

But I do need to get back on the bandwagon. Reform and repent. Get with the program. Just because I have gotten through one pregnancy without hyperemesis (HG), I am under no illusion that it would not resurface if I was not on the diet. I do not want to be caught napping. 

Additionally, I have learned that after the initial weight loss immediately following birth, my extra baby-weight does not leave until I'm on the diet. Natural weight loss simply does not happen for me - the baby weight just stays forever (and ever) unless I do something about it. Thus, I know that I won't lose any weight until I get serious about it. 

I also need to get back to my lacto-fermented foods. I just brewed my first batch of kombucha, and have already gotten back to making yogurt. Next up - kefir, pickles, and sauerkraut! (Lest I look too sophisticated, I should say that those last three items I plan to buy, not make. I am just not that awesome!)

So, my friends - how are your diet resolutions doing? Anyone having spectacular success getting back to healthy eating goals?


Forbidden but oh-so-delicious! Yum. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! All kind and thoughtful comments will be published; all inconsiderate or hurtful comments will be deleted quietly without comment. Thanks for visiting!